Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Final Four



These are the last four blocks for the blockswap. I loved doing the two in the middle. They are definitely instant gratification blocks. You make them exactly like they look. Cut a bunch of strips, and after you sew on a strip, iron down the seams, and cut it at some random angle with a rotary cutter. Continue until you reach the desired width and then square it up. Fun times. By the way, the one on the far right is supposed to look like the beach blanket in the DS book. I'd love to have the large-scale version. Maybe someday.

My new bloggie friend Rebecca from The Painted Pear left a pretty neat comment on my blog yesterday. She said these blocks are like children. They're all unique but you can tell they came from the same parent. Soon, this momma will be sending these babes off into the world. So long, kiddos. Be well and make me proud!

I also wanted to mention that colorfool creates has started a new Flickr set for quick and easy projects. I love the name of it: Quick Crafts for Sanity. Perfect for busy moms that only have short spurts of time to get crafty. Check it out.

And just a heads up: it might be a few days before you hear from me. I'm going to be immersed in this book for the next few days. Has anyone else read it? I'm so far behind on my pleasure reading, it's ridiculous. I haven't even read the last Harry Potter book yet. It seems the only time I have for myself is in the evenings after the kids are in bed. Usually if I start reading something more than a magazine, I start drifting off to sleep. So, we'll see how this goes. I'm a big fan of Amy Tan, so I think this is going to work. Oh yeah, and I got it from the library, so I have a return deadline....even more motivating. Heh heh.

9 comments:

kimberly said...

I've been trying to leave a comment and it hasn't worked so here is mine from yesterday.
Your blocks are great! I love the one that has the crooked 'window' in it. Those sachets are so cute! I've got a lot of the material she used in them.
And from today-cool blocks. I know what you mean about reading-I fall asleep thinking about it.

Mijk said...

The 'random curt stripe'thing shouts pillowcover for the save what you have month. Thanks for the great Idea!

Mijk said...

well never comment in a hurry my typing is lousy today...

Lisa D. said...

Your last 4 blocks are great too. Nice work! I'll be anxious to read your review of the book - I love Amy Tan too!

rebecca said...

love the blocks! i finished Saving Fish From Drowning a couple of weeks ago. i must say, it was actually the first Amy Tan book i have read (GASP!) so i can't compare it. i have read reviews on amazon from people that said it did not live up to her others. i don't know . . . i liked it! i did have a little trouble getting into the rythm of the story but that's probably because i'm such a spastic reader. a couple of chapters one night, put it down for 4 days, constant interruptions from the kids. you know.

the painted pear said...

I am jealous that you are reading. I can't read anymore. Can't stay focused on the page, and can't sit still long enough! I have seen alot of people out there reading her stuff...she must be good, let us know.

The last four of your "brady bunch" are just as beautiful. I'd keep em home, locked up and safe forever, but these are just quilt blocks, and you'll be getting more in the mail.
Imagine getting children in the mail? oooohhh.

beki said...

Your blocks are so beautiful! I love the colors. I've been wanting to try that techinque you used on the middle two.

I'm jealous that you're getting a chance to read. Maybe one day...

colorfool said...

Your blocks are beautiful! They have a "Gee's Bend" feel to them. Really nice work.
Thank you for mentioning quick crafts too! 8-)

Meegan Blue said...

The blocks are great! I haven't read the book, but I've read all of her others. She's AMAZING. I love it when you read a good book and you just *find* the time to read it. It's time you did't even know you had before, that becomes time to read. I hope your new book inspires you to find that secret, special reading time!