Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Baby Sweater

I've decided to be brave and try knitting a real sweater. Up until now I've stuck to pretty much rectangular things: dishcloths, scarves, a couple of bags with very minor shaping. Probably the most complex things I've knitted have been (don't laugh) baby booties and and a few of these lovely little egg warmer/barbie doll sweaters:

We had some neighbor friends over for dinner a few weeks ago. She saw my egg warmers and then we started talking about knitting. Turns out her grandmother taught her how to knit when she was a child and she has knitted sweaters without patterns ever since!!!! Huh? She gave me this huge pep talk and told me that I already know everything I need to make a simple sweater. So, by golly, I'm gonna do it. With some help/handholding from www.knittinghelp.com, I'm gonna make this simple raglan sweater from Debbie Bliss's The Baby Knits Book.

I'm almost done, actually. I've completed the front, back and one of the sleeves. So one more sleeve to go, and then I can sew it all up, and I'll be bonafide! By the way, I wish I could say that I was using the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran called for in the book, but I chickened out and went for Lion Brand Wool-Ease instead, thinking that I don't want to waste good pricey yarn on a novice such as myself in case this doesn't turn out well. I guess this little sweater is going to be my rough draft--i.e. wool ease = dressmaker's muslin, right?

7 comments:

kimberly said...

oh good for you! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Meegan Blue said...

I'm inspired! I've kind of stalled out on knitting because I was too intimidated to try something "real." But you're making me rethink that plan. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Sarah said...

Well done! Can't wait to see the finished item, it looks cute in the picture!

Megan said...

First of all, that tea-cup cosy is the cutest ever, and I bet the sweater beats it back into second place. Looking forward to seeing it.

Mirre said...

I should say that knitting that tiny sweater is even more difficult than a big one!

Chara said...

That egg warmer/barbie doll sweater is adorable! I can't wait to see your finished sweater!

ruth said...

It looks like a beautiful pattern. i can't wait to see your version! Knitting baby sweaters is easy,you'll be fine.