Monday, February 27, 2006

Baby Raglan Sweater

Here's the baby raglan sweater from Debbie Bliss's The Baby Knits Book. All in all, a pretty straightforward, easy-to-follow pattern for a beginner knitter like me. The only problem I had was seaming the pieces all together. What's the best method for seaming raglan sleeves to the body of the sweater? Mattress stitch? Is that what people use? For some reason it seems like the mattress stitch is more for connecting two pieces of stockinette stitching together. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What I ended up doing was crocheting the pieces together, so the crocheting shows when it's turned inside out. Is this what people do? (Yeesh, I really should just join my local S 'n B!) The front looks relatively smooth (if you don't look too closely).

So anyway, I'm undecided if I like this sweater or not. Something about the neckline screams "GIRL!!!" I had a sweater in the 80's with that kind of neckline. Oh, and the body seems a little short. Tell me what you think. Maybe it'll look good on a real baby. Just don't have a human around here that size to try it on yet.


rebecca said...

it sure looks cute! sorry i'm not much help with the raglan seaming. the only raglan pieces i've down have been "knit in one piece" items. it is hard to gauge how a sweater will fit a baby. i've made several that seemed to me to be too wide for their length but i think this is more accurate for an actual baby's body. they are definitely very different proportions than an adult.

lindiepindie said...

Wow - you really whipped that one out quickly! It looks good to me - all my babies seemed really short through the body.

megan said...

It's adorable!! Love the shape!

kimberly said...

So cute. Sorry, I've never done those sleeves so I'm no help.
I think it will fit well, and no girliness at all. Love it!