Thursday, January 05, 2006

Corners of My House

Amanda from Soulemama has started a flickr group called Corners of My House. Her post today really struck a chord with me. We moved out of our beautiful 1936 home 3 years ago. We'd been there for four years and by the time we moved we had restored/remodeled every single room in that house. New breezeway, new solarium, new flooring, new wallpaper, new paint, new windows, new drywall, new kitchen, new garder...our hearts and souls were tied up in that house...it broke my heart when moved away. And now, sometimes I think to myself what an idiot I was that I didn't take decent pictures of it. I have plenty of cat pictures and Davey pictures, but it's always, "hey look at the mantle in the background, wasn't that pretty?" Argh.
So, our house now is decent. I'm not as crazy about it as I was our first one...but if we ever had to move, I'd miss it. So, yes, I'm going to document it. Warts and all. I don't want to take just pictures of it when it's neat. I want to remember what it looked like when I was too tired from chasing after kids all day to clean it up (which, unfortunately these days is most of the time.) This is a time in my life that is passing too quickly. And though there are days when I wish my house looked like a magazine cover, I wouldn't want to miss these days at all.

Here's the "corner" where I spend most of my time.

Here's what it looks like when the guest are coming over:

5 comments:

amanda said...

oooh!! I love seeing how it 'really' looks most of the time, and then how it looks for guests! Perfect! Both are probably appealing to you in quite different ways.

Meegan Blue said...

I love your pictures!! And your kitchen looks beautiful...both ways! What prompted you to move after putting in so much work? There's something to be said for old, as well as for new. This past month I would kill for something new, without leaks, cracks, or creaks.

kimberly said...

I prefer the first picture-it's looks more like my place!!

Stich-n-knit said...

Hi Jo! Thanks for your message. I only got back Sat. night. I'm sat amongst a far bigger mess than yours! Once I've got over the jet-lag and finished all the washing and found a place for all the new Christmas presents I might have some energy to do some crafting!
Happy New Year!

Stich-n-knit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.