Monday, December 26, 2005

2 years in the making

My poor hubby. He never asks me for anything, but 2 years ago, he requested that I make him a quilt. He suffers at night from a cat that won't stop snuggling him. If he moves, she wakes up mad and then meows like crazy, runs around the room and makes sure we all wake up. A most irritating feline. So hubby has resorted to staying as still as possible at night. It's his duty, afterall, not to wake the cat. Meanwhile, I'm a bit of a blanket hog, and I don't know how it happens, but in the morning all the blankets are on my side and often even hanging off my side of the bed. He wanted a little quilt to keep next to the bed, so he can reach over and cover himself with it without waking the cat. A reasonable request, no?

Right before Keith was born, I made about 5 quilts. I was nesting, lots of friends were having babies, I'd just gotten my QuiltEasy frame...I was on a roll. Anyway, I had made a quilt top for him and quilted it, and all that was left was to bind the edges. Then the baby was born, and who had time to work on quilts blah, blah, blah. So hubby's quilt has been sitting, unfinished, in a basket. Every now and then he'll ask me if I have any plans to finish it, and I just roll my eyes at him. Well, today, 'bless him, he kept the boys occupied for a couple of hours so that I could get it done. Without further ado, may I present.......the quilt that I couldn't keep my kids away from when I tried to take a picture. (I really should know better than to try this when they're awake.)

Front:
Back:

6 comments:

rebecca said...

It's beautiful -- well worth the wait! I love the pieced back.

beki said...

What a nice quilt!

Meegan Blue said...

Beautiful! And what a sweet husband to be so accomodating to the cat. Gotta' love that in a guy! Hey, if you're so inclined will you please send me your email address? I keep wanting to respond your comments, but I need your emal to do it! Happy New Year, dear girl!

kimberly said...

Oh you are good! That quilt is great! 3 years ago I bought fabric for a lighthouse quilt and my husband's been asking about it every since. Quilts are just big projects that take lots of time, right? uh Anyway, lucky you to get some time to work on yours. With 2 kids and 2 cats I know how hard it is to take pictures. ;) Happy New Year!

Heather said...

That is great!! I"m sure is is so happy now. Nice quilt, I have no idea how to make quilts so I am really impressed.

Anonymous said...

lovely quilt!

i have started an afghan for mr man and i hope one day it will be done.

as for the blanket thing - i thrash around a lot and get up about 4 times a night (not normally, but being pregnant...) and we just decided to go with two duvets. it has been a lifesaver.

:)

rebecca